Wednesday, June 6, 2012

My 4th and final country - Sweden!


"MerMAN! MerMAN!"
I took the ferry yesterday at about 6pm from Helsingor, Denmark (where there's a chrome merman statue) to Helsingborg, Sweden.  I rode around Helsingborg for a bit and then headed up the coast wanting to make it out the Kulla Peninsula for my first night. Since the sun doesn't set until about 9:45pm, I was able to ride all the way out to the point.  The sun set just before I set my tent up.  I camped at the back of a golf course parking lot, in a small freshly mowed patch of grass.  The tip of the peninsula is formed by a huge gneiss outcrop with cliffs plunging into the ocean.  I could hear the ocean below me as I cooked my pasta and went to sleep.  This morning, I cooked my eggs, packed up, and rode up to the lighthouse to enjoy the view.  The wind was only a breeze.  I could tell from many of the trees growing sideways that the wind can REALLY blow here.  The sun came out and shone on the rocks and the view was incredible.  I rode back east on the north side of the peninsula and am now in the town of Angelholm.  I'll head out the next peninsula to the town of Torekov this afternoon.  Enjoy the photos!

Bording the ferry in Helsingor with all the cars
20 minute ride to Sweden



Kronborg Castle seen from the ferry

Helsingborg, Sweden
riding up the coast of Sweden
Johan (a retired merchant marine) poses with
his garden tools.  He gave me some water and
we talked for a bit.  He's been everywhere, man.




My bivy near the golf course

sunshine!

the brightest lighthouse in Sweden


















2 comments:

  1. Where do the Swedish keep their Army's?




    Up their sleevies! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you're going to Torekov. My friend, Maria will be delighted. Have fun.
    - Co

    ReplyDelete