Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Swedish Chef?


The bookends of this European vacation has turned out to be my stays with two beautiful families: one in Paris, France and one in Goteborg, Sweden.  The time I've spent here with Mattias, Lena, Valle, and Arvid has only one drawback, it ends tomorrow when I arrive at the airport.  Thank you all for the generosity and hospitality you've shown me (that goes for you too, Lucile, Manu, Philou, and Amande!).  I hope one day to return the favor!  Maybe we can all go rock climbing together one day.  (For those of you that don't know, I met Mattias and Lena 6 years ago while on a rock climbing trip at Red Rocks, Nevada.)

caviar on bread...for breakfast?
Over the past several days we had some really fun times, hiking in the woods, seeing a Peregrine Falcon nesting area, visiting a country cabin open house, sharing a pickled herring picnic in a park, visiting castle ruins, and walking around the "fishing church" in downtown Goteborg.  I've been exposed to some new foods as well.  It seems that throughout this trip, breakfast has been the meal that has differed the most from country to country.  Yesterday morning I had caviar that squirts out of a metal tube on a buttered crispy bread cracker.  This was complimented by liver pâté with sweet pickles on bread.  I kind of thought it was a joke at first, but was assured that it was quite normal...and delicious. Hmmmm.  I also had fil (a yogurt like substance) on muesli.

Tonight's dinner topped it all though.  I had Surströmming.  This fermented fish is so pungent in its odor, that you have to open the can (which is bulging from the building pressure inside) outdoors in a plastic bag!  I watched some Youtube videos previously today and was expecting the worst.  However, the smell was not even close to how putrid it had been portrayed.  Although there were people (who will remain nameless) gagging when the breeze blew the odor towards them, I didn't find it to be unappetizing.  Mattias thinks maybe it's genetic.  The fish is very pungent in its flavor though, and I could only eat a small portion (1 fillet) which I enjoyed on a piece of bread cracker with potatoes, onions, and sour cream.  Thanks for exposing me to some real traditional Swedish food!  I'm going to miss you guys!


looking for Peregrine Falcons

In Goteborg

Valle does not approve of the smell
of Surstromming

My first bite of Surstromming...
it's odd, but what's all the fuss about?

the bulging can

Valle checks out his paper plane

Arvid, happy on his mother's shoulders

this guy is seriously tough to take pictures of
I got really lucky here.

some Swedish castle ruins

pickled herring picnic



liver and sweet pickles?...who knew?

Mattias and Valle


















3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had such a great trip Josh. Hopefully it is the first of many adventures to come. Have a good flight back. Try and spend some time just doing nothing and resting once you get back. Love you.
    Salem

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful family! And what a delightful final destination. Don't stop blogging. You're a natural. Lots of love! -Co

    ReplyDelete
  3. Félicitations Josh pour ce fantastique voyage, à la seule force de tes mollets !
    Et bravo d'avoir si bien su nous le faire partager, par l'écrit comme par l'image.
    Tu as fait de bien bonnes rencontres, mais ceux qui t'ont rencontré ont eux aussi passé de super moments ;-)
    A un de ces jours... qui sait ?
    Jean-Marc

    ReplyDelete