Friday, June 8, 2012

One Month of Pedaling


June 7
One month ago today, I got off the train in Lorient, Brittany, France, pedaled down the street and walked into a small cafe.  I was given a ferry ticket by a guy that said his name was Jacky and instructions on how to get to the ferry depot.  That's how this journey began.  I don't know how many miles or kilometers itís been since then, but it's certainly been a wonderful adventure.  I was hoping for a great day of warm weather today to help me celebrate.  No such luck, though.  I rode most of the day in my arm and leg warmers and long fingered gloves, with no idea where the sun was behind the thick cloud cover.  At about 6:30pm the sun finally decided to come out from behind the clouds.  I stopped at a grocery store to buy some pasta, but it was closed.


Next door was a restaurant, so I walked over to see what they had for dinner.  I found a group of people sitting outside and asked if any of them could translate the menu for me.  Turns out there was a British couple in the group and Sam, having lived in the area for the last 5 years, recommended a dish and helped me order.  I was invited to sit with the group and we visited and laughed while I enjoyed my meal.  A bit later, the restaurant owner brought out a huge batch of boiled crayfish for the group and insisted that I partake.  THIS was the kind of celebration I was looking for, and I just happened upon it!  They schooled me on local Swedish history, the significance of the region, and I even got to hear some Swedish singing!  We visited for quite a while and as it was getting dark, I said my goodbyes and pedaled away to find a place to camp for the night.


I rode through seemingly endless farm fields until it was dark.  As I pedaled through a residential area in Haverdal, I found two people cleaning up outside their house and asked if I could pitch my tent in their yard.  It was a mother and son (Karin and Kristofer) that received me so well.  Kristofer shared a bit about a trip he'd taken to the States back in 2007 with two friends, having visited California and Nevada.  I pitched my tent out by the clothes line, thankful that I had a soft, flat place to sleep, my belly full of calzone and more than a few delicious crawfish.  It turned out to be an even better anniversary day than I'd hoped for.


Now I'm following the Ginstleden Cykelspåret


Caviar in a toothpaste tube!



2 comments:

  1. I cannot get over caviar in a tube with a cartoon character on the label. Enjoy Sweden's hospitality. Let us know what else you're eating. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing a fantastic trip! Of course, the adventure continues.

    ReplyDelete