Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Stateside: Stalemate or Strategy?

Halfway through packing

[At the end of a journey like this, when you've been working toward a set goal for so long, when life has been so simple (wake up, eat, pedal, eat, pedal, eat, pedal, eat, sleep, repeat), transitioning back into "real life", especially when you don't have what most would consider to be a "real life" (no job, no routine, and no home to return to), can be difficult.  Needless to say, updating your blog is not on the top of your list.]



Boarding the plane in Gothenburg went as smoothly as it could have.  They charged me $60 for having two boxes to check, but didn't penalize me for the gigantic bike box or the bike.  (Thank you, Sweden!)  It was difficult to say goodbye to Mattias at the airport; my visit was too short, but I'm not sure if a month would have been enough time.  

Greenland
After a short flight to London, I boarded a 747 bound for Seattle.  At one point during the long flight, I looked out the window and observed the dramatic landscape of Greenland.  Vizzini's voice (from the movie The Princess Bride) popped into my head, "Do you want me to send you back to where you were?  Unemployed, in Greenland!?"  I'm hoping to find the employment opportunities more favorable in the U.S. than down there on the ice.  I guess time will tell.

The view from Mt. Si
Spending several days in Seattle catching up with friends, going on hikes, and searching for jobs, was like trying on a new outfit to see how it looked on me.  I wanted to keep and open mind to what possibilities might arise and even considered relocating to a place that seemed to be bubbling with opportunity.  It only took 5 days for the siren call of the Missoula Valley to break through all the distractions that western Washington has to offer and completely convince me to load my car and head east.  

Em and Betsy
The 8 hour drive went by so quickly, perhaps because I'm so accustomed to averaging 17 mph on my bike.  Crossing the Montana boarder and arriving in the place that I call home never felt so right.  It's time for another adventure and I'm excited to find out what it will be and who all it will involve, but I know that for now, I'm home.

Hiking outside of Leavenworth

Eastern Washington

This is starting to look more like home.

Never so glad to see this sign

3 comments:

  1. Great way to sum it up- all possibility! Sometimes the best adventures are the ones we are living each day. Take all that inspiration from your trip and stir it into your life back home- that will equal perfect! Good luck with the job search, and welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Il ne me reste plus qu'à programmer un voyage dans le Montana, pour y retrouver Josh, et Claudine !

    ReplyDelete