Monday, May 7, 2012

A Change of Scenery, a Change of Pace





It was tough waking up this morning as I stayed up late trying to write about the Bastille experience while it was fresh in my mind.  I rode down to the station after saying goodbye to Manou, Philou, Amande, and Lucile.  I made it to the station on time (extra time, Lucile) and sat in the rail car with my bike.  Four hours on the TGV went by quickly.  As the countryside sped by, I passed the time doing some minor repairs and fiddling with equipment.  After navigating the stairs of the Lorient station (ugh, what do people in wheelchairs do?!), I rode south and found a cafe to eat at.  Inside, I was greeted by a host of generosity.  A local map from one, a ticket for the ferry to the other side of the harbor from another, and directions to the ferry from yet another guy who spoke a tiny bit of English.  I can tell now that I'm away from Lucile and Manou (who speak near perfect English), it's time to sink or swim with the French language.  With my French Phrases iPod app, I've started to doggy paddle at least.  After the ferry ride (where I almost forgot my handlebar bag), I rode east on pleasant country roads and enjoyed a cool wind off the ocean.  I got passed by what looked like a professional bike race, stopped to get groceries, stopped again to get gasoline for my stove, and took a short walk around some Carnac Stones.  I'm now sitting in a brasserie in Plouharnel, drinking a Pelforth and taking advantage of the free WiFi.  I'll head down the Quiberon peninsula in a few minutes to find a place to camp.  I'll likely be back here tomorrow morning for some coffee.

5 comments:

  1. Extra-time means you had time left to play chess and to do a few foucault pendulum experiences ? Yeah, right !
    What a change of scenery indeed ! Great pictures inside the TGV, it seems like you where in a spaceship so no wonder the landscape is so different ! Have you seen any dwarf yet hidden behind a druidic rock ?
    Ok like everyreader, I'm so so jealous and seriously thinking of biking nearby an toulousian canal next week. Bises, enjoy and "de rien".

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad you'll get to visit the presqu'ile of Quiberon ! It's our favorite place in Brittany, we go every few years, staying near the little village of Portivy. You've got to hike along the "Cote Sauvage" ("wild coast") and splurge and eat "langoustines" at least once! I wish I was there with you, enjoy the tidal pools!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We 're living on holidays without any new pieces of news, so I just write a short hello, good luck, love message for you. Take care !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you putting that marathon shirt to good use. I just happen to be wearing mine today. What an amazing time you are having!

    ReplyDelete