Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Little Yellow Roads


May 29 - in the AM
I’m in a swanky café in downtown Hanover.  I’ve really immersed myself in the riding for the last couple of days.  It’s been amazing.  The asphalt has been REALLY smooth (no chip seal!), there’ve been some crushingly steep hills, and the scenery has been fantastic.  I cranked up one hill (not sure if I’d make it) and at the top there was a sign informing me that I’d just climbed a 13% grade.  The descent was also 13%!!!  The little yellow roads on my maps are the ones that provide the best riding.  The traffic is low, the asphalt quality is high, and the scenery is amazing.  Here are several photos from the fogline on the "little yellow roads":









Yesterday, as I rode north, I asked a couple of other cyclists in Wega for directions to Fritzlar.  After visiting for a bit they asked if I’d join them for a beer.  They said they would catch the next train to get home to Kassel.  We enjoyed a 2 hour conversation and they bought me a wiener schnitzel and a couple of drinks.  When their train came, we said our goodbyes and I continued north and made it to Warburg just as the sun was setting.  I camped at a nice campground in Warburg next to more local bike tourists.  David, Josiah, and their father were out for a weekend of touring on the local bike paths.  They were fascinated with my equipment and we visited about the joys of bike touring for some time.  I rode long yesterday and made it over the last of the mountains to the southern side of Hanover.  I couldn’t find the campground I was looking for, so I camped among the windmills along a trail next to a farmers field.  I was greeted this morning by walkers and joggers along the trail.  A few stopped to visit and asked if I’d slept well.

The weather this morning was foggy, cool, and really windy.  I ate my eggs and cheese and lounged in the tent for a while, waiting to see if the weather would mellow a little.  It did, I packed up and rode into Hanover.  The wind is out of the northeast, so we’ll see how today’s riding compares with the splendid last couple of days.

May 29 - in the PM
Today the saddle was not comfortable and my legs were tired.  I took breaks often and decided to stop for a while at the Bergen-Belsen Memorial (where Anne Frank died).  I’m glad that I did.  This trip has really been such a journey of enjoying the kindness and generosity of humanity.  The memorial was a chilling reminder to me of the atrocities that we humans are capable of committing.  In that light, how much more beautiful is the tolerance, acceptance, and love that strangers have shown me?


I pedaled east toward a tent symbol on my 1:150,000 scale map.  When I arrived, I found a couple of the most gracious campground hosts yet.  (Not to mention the best campground I’ve been to in Germany.)  They have free showers and free internet.  They made me a nice dinner of Curry Worst and fries.  They let me in on a little secret too.  The reason there is no free internet in Germany is because if you illegally download a song or a movie, they hunt you down and fine you 450 Euros.

Tomorrow, to Hamburg!!!

5 comments:

  1. Great pictures, great people, great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The asphalt has been REALLY smooth (no chip seal!)"
    Yeah I can tell you're not in France anymore ;-)
    Glad all is going well! I skied up Lolo Peak today, it's still winter up there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great observations. The Germans that I met were very remorseful about those atrocities & they live with the permanent reminders of memorials & monuments to the victims. I can't imagine what that guilt must be like. I'm so jealous of your travels in rural Germany. We were always driving 110 mph on autobahns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I can't imagine how depressing it would be to live near one of those memorials, and be reminded daily of your country's past. Though if we aren't reminded of our past we are more likely to repeat it.

      Josh I'm so glad that you are having such a good time and finding so many wonderful people on your travels.

      -Salem

      Delete
  4. By the way I figured out why Blogger wasn't letting me post comments. Apparently you have to allow "third party cookies". Who knew?!

    ReplyDelete