Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Journey Begins

I checked the boxes (one for the bike, one for the B.o.b. trailer) and boarded a plane at Sea-Tac after Em dropped me off, landed in Dallas and had lunch (and a giant Texan beer) with a couple from Colorado (grape growers and wine makers) on their way to Jazz Fest.  After a casual 3 hour layover, I boarded the 767 for Paris with an interesting mix of Texans and French.  The flight was LONG.  I didn't sleep much at all; I think I got two hours.  We arrived in very thick fog and 54 degrees at Charles de Gaulle at about 11am.  I got my boxes and found a spot in the airport to take over and start assembling.  Oddly enough, the first person I met in France was a Japanese girl named Maia.  It was fun to visit and dust off my Japanese a bit while I pieced together my bike.

After a couple of hours of assembly, finding the garbage for the boxes, and getting someone to watch my stuff while I went downstairs to change into my lycra, I attempted to leave the airport.  I think I did three pointless laps (Criterium du Charles de Gaulle?) on crowded, narrow thoroughfares before I figured out east was west and west was east.....this blog's title is quite fitting.  Once on the right track, but not before a few harrowing close calls with buses and military trucks, I began seeing what every cyclist dreams of....road signs dedicated to bicycles!  Signs ended up leading to dedicated bike paths that were quite intermittent.  I started to lose my direction a bit in the endless roundabouts of the Paris suburbs.  I stopped and asked directions at least 8 different times today.  (A very challenging, but fun experience since I speak so little French!)  Each time I was told "just go straight" I'd hit a roundabout within 300 yards that didn't have a "straight" option.  I actually just started using the sun to navigate.  I was bound to run into that canal if I just kept heading south!  The canal I was headed for was one that I'd found on a website that claimed it was a great way into Paris from CdG airport.  I found the canal and also found mud.  I didn't give up on it though, and the trail conditions got better and better as I got closer to the city center.  I lost the path (and completely lost the canal at one point), but asked directions and got back on track.  A couple of extra helpful cyclists are shown in a photo....thanks, Laurent and Lison!  I hit the city center at rush hour and competed with countless mopeds, scooters, and motorcycles for position in the traffic mayhem.  The overwhelming   experience, however, was just how darn friendly everyone was!  At one point I'd headed down a highway that was not going to take me anywhere fun and I was trying to lift the bike and trailer up onto the sidewalk when a motorcyclist stopped, got off, and helped me out with a big smile on his face!  The trailer got LOTS of looks and smiles....I started to get a little jealous of B.O.B.  ;)












I reached the Seine and got my first view of Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower. I biked past Notre Dame and turned left to head south.  Thanks to a preview of Google Street View, I knew immediately when I'd reached my destination.  After 4.5 hours and 32 miles, I found Manu (short for Emmanuel) and Lucile's apartment in Montrouge (on the south side of Paris).  I'm now nestled into their sofa bed after having dinner, dessert, an adult beverage, and getting acquainted with their two beautiful children and their very vocal kitty.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah. Sounds like the first stage of the amaizing race. Great post. Once you get out of the city, things should get easier? Or the mistakes could get even more epic? Now ya see what I mean about getting lost. It is all part of the adventure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's your knee feeling??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it easy for the next few days. Soak up the experience. Let your body catch up. Drink lots of water. Oh yeah, and some adult beverages.

    ReplyDelete